Investing in stunning watches and gorgeous jewellery helps to add glamour and shine to your everyday look, but there is a certain level of care that goes into ensuring these pieces remain as precious as the day you purchased them.
Different metals, gems and pearls require slightly different methods of cleaning, but these are a few of the most important elements to keep your prized possessions safe and in top condition:
- Always follow any care instructions included with the item.
- Never expose your jewellery to strong chemicals, such as household cleaners.
- Use soft brushes when removing dirt patches from diamonds – using anything tougher may damage the gem.
- Clean pearls individually using a light, damp cloth dipped in a solution made up of two cups of warm water and a few drops of mild dishwashing liquid.
- Although cleaning at home is a good option, it is important to have your pieces professionally cleaned at least once a year to bring them back to their original state. Your local Showcase Jeweller can assist in you in keeping your jewellery looking as good as new.
- When storing jewellery, hang your items neatly and keep them separate from one another. Tangled necklaces are not only a pain to separate but can also break easily, especially if fine.
- Partner your jewellery with the right activity. For day-to-day wear, avoid large rings that may get caught or damaged. Save your statement pieces for events and dinners.
- The National Association of Goldsmiths suggests that you service your watches every year or two to ensure there are no issues. Waiting until something breaks can result in more costly or time-consuming repairs.
- Apply make up, perfumes and lotions prior to putting on jewellery. The oils and liquids in these items can have a tarnishing effect on your accessories.
If you follow these steps, you should find your jewellery remains bright, intact and stunning for years to come.